2. What Kind Of Court Case Will It Be?

Suing the police takes place in the normal civil courts such as the County Court or High Court. It’s similar to other kinds of civil cases except that there can be a jury (as well as a judge) in cases for false imprisonment and malicious prosecution.

The civil court process is very slow and it may take two or three years for the matter to get to trial. It is very unlikely that any police officer will be punished as a result, and in reality the complaint process is the only way to get disciplinary action against an officer.

Gathering Evidence

Your chances of succeeding in holding the police to account are better the more evidence you can get:

  • Video footage
  • CCTV footage
  • Witness statements
  • Photographs
  • Doctors note

So start gathering now!